Cordyline Rubra is a great landscaping plant for the south coast, it is extremely colourful and lush, earning its place in any garden.
Use Cordyline rubra as a mid level planting for mass colour, it looks best on mass with other cordylines as you would see used in a resort in places like Fiji, Papua or Hayman island for example.
ASPECT AND REQUIREMENTS TO KEEP YOUR CORDYLINES LOOKING👌🏾
Cordyline species grow well here on the South Coast Nsw, Sydney and even Melbourne, however typically cordylines are forest plants and need to be protected from heavy frost and strong August south-westerly winds.
Strong winds and open exposure may cause leaf “Tattering” and ripping. Feeding with organic Nitrogen fertilizer such as blood and bone, charlie carp or nitrosol will help to toughen leaves. We also share the love of cordylines with slimy garden snails so best to periodically check , best to catch them at night with a torch after rain, bag and freeze them for the French.
always opt for organic methods
Cordyline Rubra is a VERY Tough plant , extremely hard to kill, they are typically grown as an indoor plant but perform much better when grown out in the garden.
We pride ourselves on growing ALL full sun grown landscaping stock. You will occasionally see tiny marks or blemishes on full sun grown stock
TIP -When buying any cordylines from any nursery avoid “pretty” soft indoor grown stock or plants bought from under cover or bubblehouse grown plants as they tend to backwards quicklywhen planted in the hot dry sydney sun.
- : Cordyline fruticosa “rubra”
- : Australasia and pacific islands
- : Full sun to part shade (febuary afternoon shade is best for colour) frost will damage foliage
- : 1.5-3m very old specimens
- : Will take all soil conditions as cordyline rubra is very tough and drought tolerant. Has a “carrot” like root system so soft soil depth will encourage fast strong growth and maximum drought tolerance. Sand is ok but add some organic matter Clay is fine but add organic matter and some sand.
- : 1000
Cordyline rubra 300mm pot $66